Sunday 25 September 2011

Autoglym Super Resign Polish Review

I've been enthusiastic about car detailing for the last 3 years or so, learning more with every wash of my car and always keeping a close watch on other car detailing product review sites and forums, as well as speaking to friends about products that really stand out. As I’ve mentioned before I normally try and purchase more budget end products. This isn't because I think they're as good (although similar results can arguably be achieved) it's more the fact that I don't want to spend hundreds on items where I think alternatives can be found. Perhaps it's my want to find a value option, or to believe that you don't have to be a huge name to make a great product. It's perhaps for these reasons that the Autoglym range has been largely missed by me in the past. I've seen their glossy adverts, noted their superb recommendations from the likes of McLaren, but believed their premium price tags might be a little out of reach.

A friend of mine was given a bottle of Autoglym Super Resin Polish as a gift and like many people, he wasn't prepared to put it to use, favouring one of the many hand car wash companies' quick and convenient solutions instead (I'll talk about them in another review perhaps). Long story short I was handed the bottle as he knew I’d put it to good use (he is a good mate :-) ).

Now a quick read of the label put me in mind of a shampoo made for humans, very glossy terminology and it really does make you believe it's a product that will look after your car's paintwork. So far, so good. I washed my car using the two bucket technique (full washing stages review to follow) and dried the car off using a Kent water blade and a chamois leather. I then took a cotton pad and as the bottle suggests rubbed the product onto the car in a circular motion, finishing with straight lines. I did the whole car, allowing the Autoglym super resign to haze, which takes a couple of minutes. The product applied very smoothly and looked nice and waxy, as opposed to thick and gloopy.

Taking a Kent microfiber towel I then began buffing and polishing the car, removing the haze. Instantly the polish brought the surface up to a deep rich shine, rivaling anything I’ve previously used. I completed the whole car in around 20 minutes and when I stood back, I was thoroughly impressed with the results. As with many cream polishes it's important to either tape off the plastic un-painted plastic areas, or use a product like Turtlewax Ice to remove any over spilt wax.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone wanting an easy to use polish/wax that I truly believe will help to protect your paint work, as well as making it look superb. It has certainly prompted me to take the Autoglym range more seriously and try other products they make. Car Detailing Junkies certainly recommend.

Update: Not long after washing the car the heavens opened and covered the car in water, the Autoglym Super Resign Polish beads water extremely well and looks to provide a good barrier to the elements.