Tuesday 19 July 2011

Kent Microfiber Towel Review


I've been washing my car for many years and only in the past 2 or 3 years have I really started to look into the world of Auto detailing. A quick search online will give you a vast and somewhat overwhelming amount of information recommending everything from polishes to wash mitts. I'm not a professional car detailer by any means and I don't intend to show my car in any shows, so I'm not keen on spending the earth on top end products. I do however expect good results and truly believe that they can be achieved with products at the lower end of the price scale if chosen correctly, although I'm not in any way saying that top end products don't deliver better results.


While doing my weekly shop (bear with me) I tend to visit the car products aisle by way of a break from the normal boring grocery list. I also find some supermarkets have a fantastic range of car care products at brand leading prices. It was a roll of micro microfibre towels that caught my attention and upon closer inspection they were produced by a company called Kent and at a very reasonable £2 for 6 (although this price does vary depending on the offers different supermarkets run). Being at that price point I thought they'd be worth a gamble and added them to the basket.

Now it's at this point I feel I should explain what a microfibre towel is exactly. Putting it simply, they are a super soft towel that won’t scratch your paint work and they are excellent for either cleaning glass, applying polish and wax or for buffing polish and wax off.

Kent are no strangers to the world of microfibre and a quick look on their website highlighted the vast range of products they produce (expect more reviews soon).

As it was a sunny day I decided to take the Kent microfibre towels for a test drive and washed the car with soapy car shampoo, Chamois dried it and applied a layer of wax using a damp microfiber towel. The microfiber towel held a good amount of the wax and I was able to apply it evenly across the body work. After letting the wax haze I got another fresh towel and began to buff. The towel picked up the hazed wax effortlessly and brought the paint work up to a showroom shine, with far less arm ache than I have found from other polishing cloths. The microfiber towel stayed in good order and as long as it's looked after can be used again and again (they can be machine washed).

The pack of six Kent microfibre towels come in assorted colours which is helpful for assigning different coloured microfibre towels to different detailing tasks.