Wednesday 20 July 2011

Turtle Wax Zip Wax Car Shampoo Review

I mentioned in an earlier post about the amount of people still washing their cars with washing up liquid. To be fair I can see the confusion, washing up liquid is a good cleaning agent, it does bubble up to a good amount of suds and on the face of it, it will turn a dirty car clean. However I can't stress enough how bad washing your car with a washing up liquid detergent is. The problem with washing up liquid is that it is designed to cut through grease and food deposits and as such it's an abrasive cleaner. Washing your car once or twice might not make a big difference but continued use will lead to the paint lacquer being dissolved and in the long term will cause your paint to fade and corrosion will be likely.

This leads me on to my review. There are many car shampoos on the market and all are better that a washing up liquid. The car shampoo I'm currently using is Turtle Wax Zip Wax auto Shampoo.
 
Turtle Wax is probably the most well known car wax brand and they've been established longer than most. TheirTurtle Wax Zip Wax claims to deliver a powerful clean whilst depositing a coat of protective wax as it washes.

The bottle instructs that you should add around half a cap full to a bucket of warm water and it does indeed bubble up to a good foamy bucket full. It smells pretty good too! The suds transfer well to a wash mitt and it takes grime, insects and tree sap off the car easily enough.

After washing the car I dried the car off and it was a pleasant shine, but I couldn't help thinking that the wax was very thin, it did bead water though.

I would recommend using this product in conjunction with a polish or wax to ensure your car is protected from the elements. I would say that using this and nothing else will still be 100% better than a household detergent and at around £2.99 for a decent sized bottle you can't go far wrong.