Thursday 4 August 2011

Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit

I recently decided to try the Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit. I haven’t ever used car clay before and was always slightly reserved in trying it out. After watching several very helpful Meguiar's YouTube "how to" guides though I was ready to take the plunge.

I purchased the Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit from Amazon at a very reasonable £10.00 and it was delivered a day later. I waited for the weekend and then finally had the opportunity to try it out.
Now I carefully read the instructions first and went through the following steps.

Step 1: Washed the car fully using Turtle Wax Zip wax and a Kent Microfibre noodle mit wash mit, I also used the two bucket technique which was outlined in an earlier video post on my car detailing blog.

Step 2: Rinse the car off with clean water.

Step 3: I then used a Kent Flexi Blade to take off the majority of the water but the paint still wasn't bone dry.

Step 4: I then used the Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit. Taking the clay out of its wrapping it feels like a piece of hard-ish putty. I then sprayed the provided Quick Detailer over a section of my bonnet and directly onto the clay bar its self. In side to side motions I rubbed the clay over the quick detailer lubricant and could feel it getting smoother until I was satisfied the area was clean. I repeated this process over the whole car and took around an hour.

Step 5: I used a Kent microfibre towel to buff off all the excess Meguiar's Quick Detailer and dried the paintwork to a dullish shine.

Step 6: I then used CarPlan Triplewax to bring the car up to a protective shine.

Step 7: As a final touch I gave the paint work a quick going over with Carplan Demon Shine.

Now I have to say that the Meguiar's Quik Clay Starter Kit was fantastic and never before have I seen my car look so clean and the paint work so deep. I think the next time I do it I will try a different wax product, perhaps one from the DoDo Juice range to compare.