Monday 1 August 2011

Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax

Well if you’ve read my car detailing Blog before you’ll see that I’ve already reviewed a wax, CarPlans Triple Wax to be precise. However as I’m recommending products it’s only fair that I add different products that essentially cover the same needs.

On with the review….. I came across Turtle Wax Ice around a year and a half ago. I was looking for a wax that was easy to apply, could be used on all areas of my car (including plastics) and that wasn’t white and chalky. It’s easy to see why I selected Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax then as it says it’s safe and doesn’t mark or leave white marks. My choice was further impacted by 2 rather good American type adverts / demonstration videos I found on YouTube (please see below). I bought the product in Halfords and it came complete with an applicator sponge pad and microfibre cloth, all costing around £12.00 which seemed good value.

I washed the car as normal, dried it off with a chamois and then squirted about a thimble full of the wax onto the blue pad. The process of applying the wax was very easy and once I’d rubbed the pad over the whole car I folded up the provided microfibre and polished the whole car up to a very good shine. Now the main difference I found using this over other waxes was its ability to darken black plastic back to a new like shine. Even on a friend’s car which has solid black bumpers it brought them up to a new looking standard, something other waxes have failed to do in the past and in fact most waxes say avoid plastics at all cost.

My car is silver and it’s relatively easy to miss streaks, my friends black car however took more buffing and polishing than I’ve found with traditional white paste waxes however, albeit in the end it did come up to a brilliant shine.

I still use this wax in conjunction with CarPlan Triple Wax as I now use it for the black plastics only, simply because I still prefer the traditional white paste style. If you’re new to waxing a car though I would recommend starting with the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Wax as it’s a brilliant introduction as to just how good your car will look if you’ve not waxed it before and if you're to believe the video professionals are standing by it as well.